Skip to main contentCounty Home|ADA|Roads|News Releases|Organizational Chart|Index of Services|Volunteer Boards|About El Paso County|Contact Us
Header Banner
Motor Vehicle

Driver's License Information


Driver’s License Regulations for Proof of Address

Certain Driver’s License transactions require two documents that prove your Colorado residential address. Effective October 11, 2017 the Driver’s License services requiring two Proof of Address (POA) forms are:

  1. New Colorado applications (including transfers from out-of-state)
  2. Reinstatement of a license that requires testing
  3. Changing class of license (upgrading or downgrading licenses or IDs)

POA documents may be electronic.  The POA, if machine typed or printed in paper form, must include the person’s name, full residential address and be dated within the past one-year period.

Visit the Colorado Division of Motor Vehicles for complete information at

Some documents that are acceptable to use for proof of residential address, as provided by the Department of Revenue, are:

  1. A computer-generated bill or utility statement
  2. Bank statements
  3. Mortgage or rental contracts
  4. First-class mail from government agencies
  5. Paystubs, W2s or 1099s
  6. Change of address forms from the US Postal Service
  7. Transcripts and report cards from accredited schools

Driver’s License Services Provided at
all County Motor Vehicle Offices

The following services are provided at each of the Clerk's five Motor Vehicle offices:

  • Renewal of a Colorado Driver’s License (not Commercial Driver’s License)
  • Renewal of a Colorado Identification Card
  • Transfer of a Driver’s License from another state (upon surrender of existing DL)
  • Process name and/or address changes (upon surrender of existing DL or Colorado ID card)
  • Replacement of a Colorado lost or stolen adult Driver’s License

Effective December 23, 2014, the BOCC authorized the Clerk’s Office to offer the following three services, with a $5.00 County Service fee in addition to the State fees.

  • Replacement of a Driver’s License for a minor
  • Issue a copy of the customer’s motor vehicle record
  • Issue a motorcycle endorsement (must present proof of completed Motorcycle Safety Foundation course)

Our offices do not administer written or driving tests, issue new Driver’s Licenses or new Identification Cards, issue new motorcycle licenses (if completed through the State program), process reinstatements, or issue and/or renew Commercial Driver's Licenses (CDL).

Persons Under 21 Years of Age

The only services offered at our County Motor Vehicle offices for individuals under 21 are replacement of a Driver's License and the replacement or renewal of a State-issued Identification Card.

Change of Name

When processing a name change, an original legal document authorizing the change is required. Acceptable examples may be a filed certified marriage certificate, filed certified divorce decree or a filed certified court order issued by a state or federal court or government. A name change will require the renewal of your Driver's License.

Lost/Stolen License or ID

Our office can replace a lost or stolen Colorado Driver's License or Colorado Identification Card. The license or ID card will be reissued as a renewal license or a renewal identification card when you present a state or county certified copy of your birth certificate or a valid US passport.

If your Colorado Driver’s License or Colorado Identification Card has been stolen and you wish to replace it and obtain a new number, please contact the Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles.

NOTE:  In compliance with the REAL ID Act, applicants for all Driver's License transactions are required to show proof of their residential address (POA). A parent's proof of address indicated on the license is acceptable for a minor child.

For some transactions, two Proof of Address forms are required.  They are:

  1. New Colorado applications (including transfers from out-of-state)
  2. Reinstatement of a license that requires testing
  3. Changing class of license (upgrading or downgrading licenses or IDs)

For information on Proof of Address requirements and acceptable documents which may be presented, visit the State Division of Motor Vehicles site.  

Obtaining a Colorado Driver’s License

The Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles, issues Colorado Driver’s Licenses. Information may be obtained online at Colorado Department of Revenue, Division of Motor Vehicles.

The local full-service office of the Colorado Department of Revenue is located at 2447 N. Union Blvd., Colorado Springs, CO 80909.  Please call (719) 594-8701 for more information.

Identification Requirements are available at the Colorado Department of Revenue.

For information on fees associated with Driver’s License issuance and renewals, please visit the Colorado Department of Revenue site.