Skip to main contentCounty Home|ADA|Roads|News Releases|Organizational Chart|Index of Services|Volunteer Boards|About El Paso County|Contact Us
Header Banner

Civil Unions

Locations and Hours

All five locations of the El Paso County Clerk and Recorder’s Office offer Motor Vehicle, Driver's License, Recording, Marriage/Civil Union Licenses, and Elections services.


Southeast Powers North


Fort Carson

Citizens Service Center
1675 W. Garden of the Gods Rd
West of Centennial

5650 Industrial Place
Powers Blvd and Airport Road

Union Town Center
8830 N. Union Blvd
Research Pkwy and Union Blvd

Centennial Hall
200 S. Cascade
Cascade Ave and Vermijo
Metered Parking

Bldg 1525
6351 Wetzel Avenue
Highway 115 and Gate 1

Get Directions Get Directions Get Directions Get Directions Get Directions

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

8:00 am - 1:00 pm

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm

The Colorado Civil Union Act was signed into law March 21, 2013 and became effective May 1, 2013, authorizing any two unmarried adults, regardless of gender, to enter into a civil union.

A civil union license in Colorado may be obtained during regular business hours at any of our Clerk & Recorder locations, in accordance with the requirements outlined below. The license is valid upon issue and must be used, in Colorado, within 35 days.  The fee is $30.00, cash or debit/credit card payment only. For additional information, please review the Guidelines for Obtaining Civil Union Licenses in Colorado below, or contact the Recording Department.

For your convenience, the Guardian Consent Form, Absentee Affidavit and Requests for License and Application Copy Forms are provided in Adobe Acrobat format, which requires you to have the free Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your system for viewing.


Age Requirements
Same for both parties

  • 18 years of age or older
  • If 18 or older and under guardianship, written consent of guardian is required
  • Guardian Consent Form

Identification Requirements
Valid ID must be furnished by both parties
Date of birth must be legible

All are valid forms of ID:

  • Passports
  • Driver's licenses
  • Birth Certificates (Birth Certificates in a language other than English must be accompanied by a certified translation)
  • Military identification cards

The following are NOT acceptable forms of ID:

  • Consular cards
  • City and county detention center ID cards
  • Novelty ID cards
  • Souvenir birth certificates (issued by hospitals)

Social Security Numbers

  • Social Security Numbers ARE required on civil union license applications (C.R.S. 14-15-109).

Prohibited Civil Unions  Civil union licenses will NOT be issued

  • If a party is still married to or in a civil union with another party - all divorces must be final
  • Civil union between the following is prohibited regardless of whether the relationship is by half or whole blood:
        o ancestor and descendant
        o brother and sister
        o uncle and niece
        o aunt and nephew
  • Civil union licenses issued by another state are NOT valid for certification in Colorado.

Witness Requirements

  • Witnesses are NOT required in Colorado. Some clergy, judges, or other officiants may request them.

Application Requirements

  • Both parties must complete and sign the civil union application form.  At least ONE of the parties must apply IN PERSON before the Recording staff.  If one of the parties cannot appear in person, he or she MUST complete an Absentee Affidavit with a notarized signature and provide a copy of valid identification showing proof of age of the absent party.
  • If either party has been divorced or widowed, he or she must recite the date the divorce was finalized or the death occurred, the city and state where the divorce or death took place, the type of court where the divorce occurred and the name of the other party.
  • Applicants for a civil union license need not be Colorado residents.


  • A civil union may be certified by a judge of a court, by a district court magistrate, by a county court magistrate, by a retired judge of a court, by the parties to the civil union, or in accordance with any mode of recognition of a civil union by any religious denomination or Indian Nation or Tribe.


  • The person certifying the civil union shall complete the civil union certificate form and forward it to the Clerk & Recorder's Office within sixty-three days (63) after certifying. Any person who fails to forward the civil union certificate to the Clerk & Recorder's Office shall be required to pay a $20.00 LATE FEE and an additional $5.00 LATE FEE may be assessed for each additional day of failure up to a MAXIMUM of $50.00.
  • Please return completed civil union license/certificate to:
    El Paso County Recording Department
    P.O. Box 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO 80901-2007
  • Civil union certificates must include the county and location where the civil union took place, the date the civil union was certified, the officiating party’s signature and title and both parties’ signatures.

Civil Union Copies

  • $0.25 per license/$0.25 per application.
    Certified is an additional $1.00 per document.
  • For copies to be returned by mail, the following additional handling fees apply:
    1-10 Pages-$1.25, 11-20 Pages-$2.00, Over 20 Pages-$2.50.
  • Request for License Copy Form 
  • A Request for Application Copy Form, along with valid form of identification, is required to obtain a copy of a civil union application. 

Name Change

Your civil union license/certificate must be returned and recorded before any name change may take place.

Name Change Contact Information


  • The Social Security Administration  provides information regarding Social Security card name changes.
    Phone: 1-800-772-1213
    Colorado Springs Social Security Office:
    2306 E. Pikes Peak Ave.
    Colorado Springs, CO 80909
    (888) 880-0688


  • The Colorado Department of Revenue  provides name change requirements for Driver’s Licenses.
        o  Colorado Springs Office:
                 Colorado Department of Revenue 
               2447 North Union Blvd, 80909
               (719) 594-8701
               (303) 205-5613